DEVELOPED FOR EASE OF IMPLEMENTATION
Get setup, installed, and sync'd in seconds
Below you will find our ParrotWP™ documentation., which covers installation, syncing, and advanced features.
LET’S GET STARTED
1. Purchase ParrotWP™
To get started, you will need to download your plugin files package and have a valid license code from ParrotWP.com. You can find these on our website in the My Account section by clicking on Downloads. Make sure you also have a valid Cadmium account with access to the Education Harvestor API. You will need this API key for later use (separate fee required; see your Cadmium rep for details).
Once you have all of these items, go ahead and log into your WordPress system. Next:
- Click on Plugins
- Click Add New
- Click Upload Plugin
- Click Choose File and select the ParrotWP.zip file
- Click Install Now
- Click Activate
You will need to repeat these steps for the Advanced Custom Fields Pro (ACF) plugin, (if you do not use this plugin already) which is packaged with your purchase.
2. Enter License Codes for ParrotWP
After purchasing ParrotWP™ you will receive the necessary ParrotWP™ license codes in the My Account section. To retrieve them in My Account, first, log in and click on Orders, click on View under Actions, and scroll down a bit to see your license code (in green).
In your WordPress dashboard, click on ParrotWP in your WordPress sidebar menu and enter your license information to activate your plugin. Once ParrotWP™ is activated you will see two new menu items added to your WordPress sidebar menu: ParrotWP™ and Cadmium API Data.
- ParrotWP™ is a custom post type added to your WordPress installation and will be the designated location for any data passed through the Cadmium API.
- Cadmium API Data is a custom options area where you will enter your Cadmium Education Harvester API key and initiate your first manual sync explained in step 4.
3. Importing Your Custom Fields
Also added to your sidebar menu, after installing Advanced Custom Fields Pro (ACF), is a new menu item labeled Custom Fields. Within this next step, you will need to do a few things:
- Enter your Advanced Custom Fields Pro license code by clicking on Custom Fields and then selecting Updates from the drop-down menu.
- All support inquiries for ACF need to go through our support portal. Do not contact the ACF plugin developer. They will not provide any support to you.
- Locate the import_custom_fields.json file in your ParrotWP™ packaged files. This file contains all the available Cadmium fields in the Education Harvestor API.
- Click on Custom Fields and select Tools from the menu.
- Click on Choose File under Import Field Groups and select the import_custom_fields.json file.
NOTE: If you already use the pro version of this plugin on your website, don’t install this plugin over your existing version. There are no differences between our version and the version available on the ACF website. Instead, after you import the import_custom_fields.json file you will need to assign the Location of the fields to the ParrotWP post type in the Location options area underneath all of the fields within the Event Fields settings.
4. Sync Your Data Once
Now that all the plugin files are installed, and all license codes are activated, it is time to sync your data. In the WordPress sidebar menu, click on Cadmium API Data, and on the following screen, you have one field to place your Cadmium API key. Enter your key into this field and click Save Changes.
Once the changes are saved, click Refresh Data above where you entered the key. A message will appear at the top of your screen and the data import will begin. Initial data imports depend on the number of presentations and other data in the Cadmium system that is being pulled into your WordPress system. You can leave the page once the sync has started.
5. Visit ParrotWP in the menu
After a few minutes, click on ParrotWP™ to see the results of your import from the Cadmium Education Harvestor API.* You will see all the presentation names listed as WordPress Post Titles. When you click on any entries, you will see a long list of custom field data populated with your event information.
Congrats! Your data is now in WordPress.
* Depending on the number of presentations being imported, you may have to wait longer to see a complete list of your presentations. You can refresh the ParrotWP™ page at any time to get a new count of where in the importing process you currently are.
ParrotWP™ has built-in functionality to automatically sync your data through the Cadmium API using the WordPress CRON system. We recommend using a CRON plugin like WP Crontrol to control the syncing functionality.
Once you have identified an appropriate CRON plugin, you will want to create a new PHP event in that plugin labeled Parrot_new_cron and set your timer for how frequently you want this feature to run.
The automated sync can be triggered as often as the plugin options offer and we recommend using the Refresh Data button in step 4 for emergency updates only.
Once your initial sync takes place, ParrotWP™ only looks for updates; it will not reimport all your data again. We have found subsequent imports take about 1/3 of the time of the initial sync, meaning quicker updates when you add/modify data.
ParrotWP™ uses Advanced Custom Fields Pro (ACF) to handle and manage all of the data pulled from the Cadmium Education Harvestor API. Fortunately, ACF can utilize shortcodes to pull information into your layouts. If you have an experienced developer that understands “loops” within WordPress they may utilize these shortcodes to create repeatable elements within a layout.
If you’re looking for a partner to develop your layout, we recommend David James Group.